Combined BA in Human Services & Social Justice / Masters of Public Administration (MPA)
Eligible and interested students may apply for a combined dual degree program to earn Bachelor of Arts with a major in Human Services & Social Justice (HSSJ) and a Masters of Public Administration. Students should apply to the MPA Program the fall of their third year.
New Human Services & Social Justice Program (HSSJ)
Beginning in Fall 2014, the new Human Services & Social Justice Program is replacing the Human Services Program (HMSR). For more information on this change, see our Academics and Undergraduate Program pages. For students who declared a Human Services (HMSR) major prior to April 2014, the original BA/MA requirements remain the same, as does the name of your concentration: see also Five-Year BA with a Major in Human Services and Master of Public Administration and in the GW Course Bulletin. The new HSSJ requirements and their former HMSR equivalents are listed below, and you can find course descriptions here: HMSR and HSSJ. If you have questions, contact the program director Dr. Emily Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For BA in Human Services (HMSR), now Human Services & Social Justice (HSSJ)
Prerequisites (3 credits)
Requirements (24 credits)
HMSR 1177 Human Services and Community: Empowerment for Social Change (3)
or HSSJ 1177 Organizing for Social Justice in Human Services (3)
HMSR 2171 Human Development I (Child Development) (3)
or HSSJ 2171 Human Interactions: Child and Adolescent Development (3)
HMSR 2172 Human Development II (Adult Development) (3)
or HSSJ 2172 Human Interactions: Adult Development (3)
HMSR 2176W Program Development in the Human Services, WID (3)
or HSSJ 3100W Program Planning and Evaluation (3)
HMSR 2182W Organization and Administration in Human Services, WID (3)
or HSSJ 3110W Non-Profit and Organizational Management (3)
HMSR 3152 Issues in Human Services (16 hours/week) (6)
or HSSJ 3152 Fact, Field, Fiction: Intersections in Human Services and Social Justice (6)
HMSR 4195 Current Issues/Seminar in Human Services (3)
or HSSJ 4195 Capstone Seminar in Human Services and Social Justice (3)
Other Requirements (12 credits)
SOC 2101 Research Methods (3)
SOC 2104 Contemporary Sociology Theory (3)
COMM Choose one of the following courses: 1040, 1041, 1042, or 2120 (3)
- Complete the general requirements for the Columbian College of Arts and Science.
- Complete 3 credit hours of a 1000-level course in one other field of study, approved by the combined program advisor.
- Complete 12 credit hours of approved Public Administration courses taken in the last year of the BA. This can be counted towards both the BA and the MA.
- Follow the established curriculum for the Masters of Public Administration.
- Complete a 1-credit hour prerequisite course (PPPA 6000) taken during junior year.
- Complete 12 credit hours of approved MPA coursework taken during the last year of the BA in Human Services.
- Complete a total of 40 Credits, including 13 taken in the last year of the undergraduate program.
In the 4th year of this program, in order to maintain any financial aid you may have, 51% of your total credit hours must be in undergraduate courses. Options include adding a 1-credit course to your 4th year or taking one 4-credit rather than a 3-credit course in the 4th year.